News from Nepal: an update

Saturday, June 20, 2009

News from Nepal: an update

Hi everyone,

It's been a terribly long time since I posted an update here, and there are MANY updates to share. Yubaraj is now in grade 8, attending classes and receiving tutoring regularly. I need to write a long post to catch you up on how all of that has come to pass -- been a bit of a challenge at times -- and to update everyone on the budget -- been challenging to keep costs to what we anticipated years ago.

For the moment I'll just share my deep gratitude to Basu Gnawali for taking on the significant daily responsibilities for this sponsorship, and share an email I just received from Yubaraj's tutor. I almost also posted the email Yubaraj sent, too -- his first one! -- but it didn't seem right. I feel differently than I did when we started this about posting photos and information about someone on the Internet without their permission. Yubaraj has always known his studies are made possible through the support of 100+ people who learned about his story online, and he knows about this blog, but that's different than sharing a message he wrote to me here. So know that he and his family are fine, that he's very grateful for his studies and is working hard in school, and we hope that before long he'll be posting his own blog entries.

And please join us in wishing Yubaraj a very Happy 20th Birthday!

Christine

**************************************************

Dear Uncle,

In my observation, Yubaraj requires very less guidance in all the subjects except English. He is good in Maths and Science. He is okey in other subjects taught in Nepali language. However, he is very poor in English. He hardly can read and understand English. So, under my father’s guidance I’m teaching and assisting him in his English courses. I am basically focusing on his reading and understanding skills.

Math seems to be is favorite subject. He usually have questions on this subject and enjoys learning it.

Everyday he comes to my place at around 6:15 in the morning and I teach him at least one and half hours. On Saturday, he comes in the morning and evening as well.

He has been coming here since June 1st, i.e. 18th of Jestha. So altogether, he came for 14 days (until Jestha 31st).

He has tried to write separate emails to Basu uncle and Christine. I’d send those separately.

Regards,

Rajiv

**************************************************